A PHP accelerator is a PHP extension designed to improve the performance of software applications written in the PHP programming language.
This is how to install the APC caching extension (I got version 3.0.6) into XAMPP on Linux (for PHP5). You will need the developer package for XAMPP to do this. (You can use the
pearcommand to install it if you're using standard Apache + PHP.)
- Download the tarball from http://pecl.php.net/package/APC
- Unpack it and connect into the directory created.
/opt/lampp/bin/phpize-x.x.x; use the version of phpize which corresponds to the version of PHP you want to install for.
- Run the following commands:
./configure --enable-apc --with-apxs --with-php-config=/opt/lampp/bin/php-config-5.0.4
- Edit your php.ini file and add the following line
- Reload Apache.
- Create a PHP page which calls
phpinfo(), and check that there is a section for APC. If there is, it's working.